Sunday, February 17, 2013

It's Time to Weed: in the Garden and in Life


Weeding is the most satisfying job. 
I love it when the soil in my garden is just crumbly enough that the shovel sinks in and loosens the offending vegetation.  I bend down and with little effort pluck the trespasser from the earth, thus giving the plants meant to be there room to breathe. 
 
 
 
 
Sure, the job comes with back-bending and heart-pumping,
but those inconveniences give me the opportunity to stand up, lean on my shovel and take in my surroundings, something I don’t think enough of us do anymore these days. 

The garden isn’t the only place where weeding becomes necessary; I have found that the task works just as well in life. 
Over the years I’ve worked at jobs that didn’t fulfill or challenge me.  So I went back to school to find what fields inspired me and left behind jobs where I had to wait on people, do what others told me to do, or sit at a desk dreaming of what lay beyond the window of my cubicle. 

From early adulthood my feet took me on the other side of that window where I discovered new places, made new friends, experienced my country’s varied environments.  I never once regretted the starting over or pined for the familiarity of what I’d left behind; except for the people.  The trouble with wandering from coast to coast the way I have is the loss of immediate connection with those I care about, those that are a link to my past. 
Weeding people and places from my life came with the adventures I sought and found.  While it was not hard for me to relinquish the place, it is a lot more difficult to throw those I made memories with, laughed and cried with, onto the heap of the discarded. 

It took me a long time to get over my high school years, the first place that I felt a sense of belonging.  Those friends I made were family – then. 
Graduating Class, 1975
But we’ve all moved beyond those connections and while I still am glad to glimpse the lives they lead now I really have no place there.  The same can be true with those I grew up with.  Weeding out people that don’t serve you well, those that are not a positive influence in your life really have no place there either. 

To make a garden thrive sometimes it’s necessary to throw out the good with the bad, as in the desired plant that is all caught up in the roots of a weed.  To allow the warmth of the sun to nurture, to allow the oxygen in to breathe, to see life flourish it’s necessary to do some weeding, both in the garden and in life. 

Yes, both jobs require some pain, in the back and in the heart, but doing so provides the opportunity to stop and look around at all the wonder close at hand; a chance to admire and enjoy the harvest.   

I’ll keep weeding until my garden and my life are full of color.   
 

 

1 comment:

pmbggw said...

I see you in the middle of the 2nd row. I am class of '75 also, (Attica)