Monday, January 14, 2013

Chilly, with a Chance at a Warm Tummy

It is freezing here in Las Vegas.  So many of my family, who live in the cold part of the country, are amazed when I tell them that; they assume that the desert is always warm to hot.  I love this cold weather because it makes me move; I become much more domestic, spending hours in the kitchen making yummy smells to greet my husband when he comes home from work.  Last night it was homemade pizza, bread and banana cake.  I'm pretty sure one of the big reasons he married me is because I'm one of those old-fashioned, cook-from-scratch kind-of gal.  I don't like to tempt fate or anything, so I keep on cooking and baking.


Another reason I love the chilly weather is that it keeps the outside bugs that just thrive in the heat at bay.  The cockroaches, black widows and other creepy spiders, and the scorpions. 


I've always handled the first two well enough, but when the scorpions took up residence, well, that was the straw that broke my patience. They are all hibernating right now but by May I can expect to go on patrol once again, careful about where I place my foot or hand, scanning the walls inside and outside the house for that now all too familiar shape. I have not been unfortunate enough to be stung, but this is Las Vegas and the odds are against me.  Do you know there is little that can be done to exterminate scorpions?  We've had the professionals out here, yet, the creature prevails. 

Our cold spell is due to break this week.  We'll go back to temperatures where I don't have to bundle up to get the mail or feed the chickens, a necessity that reminds me of living in New York where five layers of clothing are required just to go turn on the car to warm it up.  I will welcome the warmer weather, but it's still just chilly enough to keep my oven on and the bugs in slumber.

Hope the rest of the country is enjoying their winter in the comfort and warmth of their family and homes.  If not, come on over, I have a pot of something simmering and you are more than welcome to have some!

No comments: