Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Grandma and Grandson Take to the Road

Aiden, exactly one month ago you turned 9 years old!” 

That’s what I told my grandson as he swam in the hotel pool last night.  We are on another Nana-Grandson road trip and today’s destination is Atascadero, California.  There I will be visiting Cyndi, my college friend and her husband, John.  It’s been a few years since we’ve seen one another so I am really looking forward to the visit. 

This is the third road trip I’ve taken with Aiden.  Two years ago we attempted to drive to my hometown in New York.  We made it just across the Kansas-Missouri border and then turned around.  Read about the reasons for that aborted journey at New York a Bust. 

Last year we went to Oregon, where we are headed this time around.  The drive home last year nearly did me in (I did the whole drive at one shot), so this year Aiden and I are taking the drive in small, do-able chunks. 

Making these memories with Aiden is one of the things I really look forward to.  The two of us surprisingly have a great deal in common and a lot to talk about together, even though there’s over forty years age difference between us.  So far, he’s not found quality time with Nana to be an obligation but an adventure. 


I’m sure when the teenage years hit, that will all change.  But for now, I’m soaking it all in and making our time together full of adventure. 

Stay tuned for more updates from the road.

3 comments:

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

What a wonderful opportunity for both of you to have such uninterrupted time together. What wonderful memories you are creating. I think our generation is more aware that is what we are doing, than our grandparents did. I envy you that time. Hug him for this Nana too.

Sweet Tea said...

Have a wonderful time. So anxious to read more about your traveling adventure.

miruspeg said...

You really rock my friend! What a fantastic idea to take your grandson on road trips.
He will remember these trips very fondly and reminisce about them for the rest of his life.
Warmest hugs to you both
Peggy xxxxx