Monday, March 21, 2011

An Apparent Parent

“She’s such a mother, isn’t she?” 
My daughter said those words to a friend of hers as I placed a plate of cheese and crackers on the coffee table.  Dinner was still about 30 minutes from being ready and I wanted to ensure my guests were not going hungry.  Yes, I guess I am a “mother,” the good kind, not the one with a swear word after it. 
Years ago I attended a function for my daughter’s school where she and several students were being honored for their academic accomplishments.  I mingled with other parents, many of them prominent members of the local community; their name tags identifying them with their company names.  My tag just had my name on it.  When someone asked me what I did, the words came out of my mouth before I realized what I was saying.  “I’m just a parent.” 
At the time I was a full-time student working toward my master’s degree and was not gainfully employed.  I felt “less-than” amongst my peers who were successful in business. 
It was when my daughter went up to the podium and gave a speech that I realized just what a fool I was.  Being “just a parent” to that incredible young woman I gave birth to and raised made me the most successful person in the room. 
Since that day I have joined the ranks of the successful; I am a practicing historian, college professor, and still chase dreams of glory.  But I also cook everything from scratch for dinner guests, teach my children and grandchildren the beauty and practicality of planting a garden, make sure the kids are bathed and well-fed, and cuddle and kiss them incessantly.
Yep.  I’m a mother alright.  I would not want any other label placed on me. 


If you like this post, you might like the blog written by new blog pal, Mark Wilcox at Apparent Parent.  Check it out!  

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I love your name tag and would proudly wear one too. Having 3 adult daughters, I know now, "I did good". Having worked most of those years, I also know how much we working Moms missed. Society puts a lot of pressure on us to do so much. But, the Mom part, that's the most rewarding.

Well said Gioia...

miruspeg said...

There you go again Lisa....impressing me!!
Being a good or even great parent is not easy, but it is the most important job in the world and there is no greater privilege than raising the next generation.
Keep shining my friend.
Hugs
Peggy xxxx

Mark Wilcox said...

Stumbled on this just doing a search on Apparent Parent. I've been writing a blog called that for quite a few months, and wonder if I could link to this or repost it in its entirety as a guest post. It goes with the feel of my blog quite well.
Thank you.