Saturday, February 26, 2011

24-Hour Town Has Its Perks

Another installment in my quest to find the best of Las Vegas.

I say I want the quiet life that a small town offers; a place where you can see the sky darken naturally;


not one neon lit so that the stars hardly shine.


But I have to say, when I do find myself living off the grid I know it will be a culture shock and one that will take a little getting used to.

Living in a large town, especially one that boasts that it never sleeps, I have gotten used to the convenience of things. I’m a night-owl, but I do like the idea that if I need something, say cold medicine or a bite to satisfy a craving, I can find it at any given hour of the day. Just last week I decided to check out the neighborhood thrift stores. It was 7:30 PM. There are three close to my house: two Goodwills and Deseret. I knew Goodwill stayed open until nine, but I didn’t expect the Mormon-operated store to be, but it was. And I wasn’t the only one on the lookout for good deals; all three stores were packed with shoppers.


Just another example of what I’ll miss when it comes time for me to Leave Las Vegas.

No comments: