Friday, May 28, 2010

Happy Anniversary to ME! One Year a Blogger

What a difference a year makes. It was May of last year that I began posting blogs that shared bits and pieces of my life. At first I was resistant to the idea; who would want to read what I wrote? Did I want anyone to? And the most pressing question of all, would I be able to keep up on it if I commit? The answer to all of the above is YES!


It was the last part that I most worried about. I am not consist at anything. I have great ideas, start numerous projects, love the exercise programs I begin – but I end up ending everything I start because I get distracted so easily. I am one of those enthusiastic doers. It has taken me years to accept the fact that I have a very short attention span; they call it Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder these days.

I have, to give myself a break, followed through on a few things. I finished three college degree programs. I raised my children and continue to be a major part of their lives. I have stayed married for nearly 25 years. And, I have continually written at least once a week and published my blog, only missing a week or two.

Usually when I stop doing a routine for even a couple of days, be it exercise or writing, I drop the activity all together. Not this time. My need to write, like my need to talk, has not diminished. In fact, both are so important to me that I get anxious when I have a lapse in the practice. And since that first post a year ago, I have reaped many benefits that motivate me to keep writing, posting, publishing and telling my story.


When I first began writing with the intent on making money from the practice; this was way back in the 1980s, I was just a novice. It was too much effort for such little return. I continued to write but rarely submitted anything for publication and when I did always received the dreaded rejection letter months after it was sent. I have had a few published successes: local newspaper guest editorials and columns, a short story in a college literary magazine, and once I actually got paid to have my story published in a magazine big enough to be listed in Writer’s Market.

Since I’ve started my blog, however, I enjoy greater exposure, receive instant acknowledgment, and I have become a much more consistent writer. Here’s what writing my blog has garnered me:  
  • An invitation by Vibrant Nation to be one of their blog circle writers
  • Contributor to More Magazine online
  • Followers and visitors who read my blog from all over the U.S. and the world: Spain, the Philippines, Malaysia, England, Korea, Italy, and more
  • My name is frequently accessed through the search engine Google
  • This June, a newly published book, To Daddy with Love, will include the complicated story of my father’s influence in my life.
With this one year anniversary recap, I am able to see that being consistent, putting in a little effort on a regular basis can, and does, reap wonderful benefits. I am grateful to the friend who pushed me to begin this journey, grateful to all who have stopped by for a quick read and those who are loyal followers. Mostly, I am pleased with myself for sticking with the dream that has been in my heart for so many years and that has never died, and grateful for the venue in which I can express myself.
 
I can hardly wait to see what the next year brings.
 Happy Anniversary to This Gioia’s Chronicles.  Here is to many more!

1 comment:

Donna B said...

WOW! We did start blogging close together. My anniversary with Mystical Journeys is tomorrow, June 1st.

Your list of first year accomplishments is very impressive.

We need to meet for lunch and celebrate together. What do you think? hugs and congrats! Donna