Thursday, September 3, 2009

Black Cloud

Worry is such an unproductive emotion
But it just won’t stay at bay
Tell your head to think of more positive things
Buy your heart doesn’t listen
Your physical being manifests the worry
Whether you want to acknowledge it or not
The inner shakes, the nauseous stomach, the hand wringing

Worry consumes all your good feelings
In its place is fear of the unknown
The wonder if you should do something
The fear that you will pay the consequence
For inaction
Or should you just butt out?

To each his own
It is what it is
You are you own person
Thoughts are things
Think positive
Worry doesn’t do you any good
All that these cliché’s do is provide an excuse
To carry on day to day, minute by minute
Hoping your fears are baseless
How will I know that they are?

I’m just waiting for a phone call

In the meantime
I’m thinking good thoughts

Or trying to

3 comments:

AmyK said...

I too, am a worrier. I wish I weren't. I have 3 adult daughters( 35-24) that I still worry about. We as a family, all call each other when we leave home and return home, for vacations, late nights, etc, so that we will all have peace of mind. We call it common courtesy. In talking to my sister even, I was surprised to find that it is not common after all. I hope you get your phone call soon.

david mcmahon said...

Worry is a part of human existence. But we need to find the balance whereby worry does not transcend creativity or the sheer joy of everyday life.

Lisa Gioia-Acres said...

Amy and David, thank you for your comments and cyber-support. It really helps. It's funny how a new day puts things into a new perspective.

The root of the worry still exists, both in reality and in my mind, but I secret it away in order to get through the day. At the oddest moments, however, it makes its presence known.

In the grand scheme of things, I've got it pretty good and all is in balance. It's imporant for me to remember how much is out of my control and to let it be.